Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Quick Cicada Round Up


As I noted in my previous entry, I did spot a couple of early emerging seventeen-year cicadas when I was kayaking on Sunday. I also received an email from the Cincinnati Nature Center saying their cicadas are emerging and they are hosting a lecture on the insects:

Cicada Lecture at Rowe Woods
Learn all about the 17-year periodical cicadas that will be emerging this summer in Clermont County. Dr. Gene Kritsky, professor at the College of Mt. St. Joseph will share his knowledge of these unique insects.
Other Info:
Age Group:Adults
Date:5/31/2008 Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Current/Maximum Registered: 8/50
Cost: $6; with CNC membership $4.


WCPO also posted a small entry on the east side cicadas. Can you spot what's wrong with this quote?

Kritsky says 17-year cicadas have a life span of only about two weeks.


I weep for the state of journalism in my home town.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have cicadas in West Chester. They emerged overnight Tuesday and when I went around my yard yesterday morning, they were everywhere. By afternoon, they were flying around and crashing into us. Haven't really heard them yet but, as a sufferer of tinnitus, it's hard to distinguish the sounds.