Thursday, June 05, 2008

Packing Lunch

I've been a lunch-packer ever since I starting working jobs that were not actually in a restaurant. I have many reasons for doing so: I like to cook and I always have leftovers around, eating out is generally expensive if you go for the good stuff and unhealthy if you go for the cheap stuff. I also try to avoid using disposable stuff when possible so I've been collecting various lunch gear over the years and I thought I"d share a few finds.

To-Go Ware has some very nice bamboo cutlery in recycled plastic cases which are manufactured in different parts of the world. I bought a couple of sets of bamboo cutlery when I was in Athens, Georgia a few months back and I love them. They are in my lunch bag every day.

Reusable Bags has a lot of great products, from shopping bags to water bottles. I purchased a couple of their sandwich bag replacements and have been loving them.

No post about packing lunch would be complete without a link to Lunch in a Box. Biggie has a great site on packing bento lunches, primarily for children but most of her techniques and recommendations are appropriate for any age.

I try to bring along my own cloth napkins and dish towels when I pack lunch as well. I've been collecting cloth napkins and I've even recycled a few old cotton dresses into napkins for the very purpose of packing lunch. I also keep a couple of those freezable bricks to pack into my lunch box because unfortunately, where I work presently, there are persons who are not adverse to stealing other people's lunches out of the communal fridge, therefore I keep my food at my desk. The last time I stored something in the fridge, it was a container of lemon wedges for my iced tea. Someone stole all my lemons, but did leave the box. Who does things like that? I'd have given them a lemon wedge had they asked.

No comments: