Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bloodroot

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) is blooming in our area now, but I've been thwarted in my efforts to get a decent photo this year. I have one good picture of the blossom and another of the leaf, but not both at the same time.

Bloodroot is so named because when the root is damaged it emits a blood red juice. This liquid was used by Native Americans as a dye for baskets and clothing and for painting their faces and bodies.

Although, or perhaps because, the plant has toxic properties it has long been used as a medication. Bloodroot is known to contain an escharotic, a substance that kills tissue, and the juice has been used in preparations to kill ringworm, fungal growths and warts. It is also used in mouthwashes to kill gingivitis and plaque. Despite its useful properties, self-medication is an exceedingly bad idea due to the plant's poisonous substances. It's far too lovely a plant to destroy in any case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went on a hike yesterday at the Nature Center and we saw several bloodroots that were blooming, Carol Reinel was also there and had her digital camera so I ask her to take a picture which she did. So I'll let you know how it turned out. We were there for over 2 hours walking all over the place and went through the wild flower section. It's a great center. Even bought a t-shirt for $5.00

Lily Secret said...

The Cincinnati Nature Center is a great place. I love what they do there. I'd love to see the photo; do share.