Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake in Cincinnati!

I was just awakened (about 5:40 AM) by the windows of my bedroom rattling and my bed rocking back and forth. The shaking lasted about ten seconds. The morning news is reporting other people feeling earth tremors in the area. I've never felt an earthquake before!

According to the USGS it was a 5.4 degree quake centered in southern Illinois.

From WCPO: 5.4 Earthquake Rocks Illinois, Rattles Tri-State. We even made the world news; here's a report from the BBC.

5 comments:

IzaUria said...

YEAH!! I felt it too!!

It was crazy, it like started a bit strong, then slowed down, and then it shook us all like jello again! NUTS!

I've never felt an eathquake here in Cincinnati before... it was weird!

Anyway. Hope it wasn't too bad in Illinois. Haven't turned on the TV to see the news yet.

No. 1 Mr ED said...

I was driving into work and was listening to Louisville radio statiion, they experienced a quake as well. My daughter in Fairfield Ohio called and said she felt it too. Nothing in Frankfort Ky.

memh said...

I was awaken by my bed shaking for several seconds. After looking at the internet, I found that there was a quake centered in Olney, Illinois at that time. We must have felt a tremor from that quake.

Unknown said...

Didn't wake me! Only one I ever felt was about 35 years ago, here in West Chester, Oh. In kitchen - thought it was an explosion. Everything started rattling and the floor shook. It was a regular occurrence for Dad when he was in stationed in Japan.

DanThoms said...

It woke me up. I thought my house was falling down.