Saturday, January 03, 2009

Halls Creek Woods

I found a little nature preserve I'd not been to before by way of a Flickr photo group I was invited to join last week (Ohio Dedicated Nature Preserves). Halls Creek Woods is near Morrow and Oregonia in southeast Ohio. It's a little park, just under 300 acres and not much trafficked from what I could tell. There was only one other car in the parking lot when I arrived and I didn't encounter any other people while hiking around. I startled a flock of wild turkeys and a small herd of deer while I was walking, which was only fair since they startled me a great deal.

The trail, which was not blazed, would be a bit hard to pick out after a fresh leaf or snow fall. The website says the trail is two miles long, but my pedometer told me about 1.5. There's a steep climb to get up to the main loop of the trail and I would imagine it would be a bit treacherous descending after a wet spell; wear something with good traction! The trail doesn't follow along Halls Creek itself, which is a shame because it's a lovely creek with lots of small waterfalls and an abundance of fossil-bearing Ordovician stone. However, Halls Creek Road, just around the corner, follows along the creek and there are a couple of spots to pull off and snap photos.




After Halls Creek I drove over to Caesar's Creek and hiked the gorge trail loop. I did my best to find a decent specimen of bryozoan to photograph (or pocket) but it eluded me. I found scads of brachiopods though, and a bit of crinoid stem and a partial cephalapod shell, but no good bryozoans. I think I'll have to hit Keener Park in West Chester - I know there's loads in that creek.

My new waterproof Kamik boots did well! They are slightly too big for me, nothing a thicker pair of socks won't cure. They felt really stiff at first but I got used to them quickly. I've been needing a proper pair of winter boots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post on Halls Creek, I was looking for info on Ohio State Preserves and there is scant little about this place.

If you are looking for fossils, I suggest you go towards the Little Miami River access point by Morgans Canoes on 350 to park and walk about a half mile north along the paved trail. There is a small branch under an old bridge, there are some very nice specimens there.