Tuesday, January 06, 2009

How to run a 10K

"I started running at the age of 47 in June of last year and couldn't run a mile at that time, but I ran my first ever 10K on Thanksgiving."


How I did it: I just kept going. I trained and read a lot about running, talked to other about running and JUST KEPT RUNNING. I ran a little further each time I went out running. Once I could run a mile the rest really came easily. Soon it was two miles, then I ran my first 5K and I was halfway to a 10K right then and there.

Next stop - a 15K in March. Then hopefully a 1/2 marathon in May.


Lessons & tips: Just keep running. Find a friend if that works for you. Set a goal. Pick a 10K race 3 months or so ahead of time and train with that in mind.


Resources: Here are some great resources:

Map My Run
Runner's World
Daily Mile


It took me 6 months.


It made me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think its wonderful that you have taken up running. I'm very impressed. Thanks for the calendar, it's great. Janet