Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Baby Broccoli

I brought home some vegetables labeled baby broccoli from Trader Joe's this week. Now, I've grown broccoli before and it never goes through a stage where it looks like this so-called baby broccoli, so I figured the name was a marketing ploy. It looks a lot like Chinese broccoli (gai lan) and I've always preferred the taste of that to our garden variety stuff; I thought it might be the same thing. As it turns out, baby broccoli is a hybrid cross of broccoli and Chinese kale. It is also sold under the names asparation and broccolini.

I steamed it for twelve minutes and served it along side some mahi-mahi with a miso sauce over both. It's really tasty and the entire stalk is edible, unlike regular broccoli, the stalk of which has to be peeled in order to render it edible.

No comments: