Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Charles

Today is Darwin Day, commemorating the birthday and celebrating the life and achievements of one of the most influential biological scientists in history. Expect a lot of hoopla next year, which will mark both the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Robert Darwin and the 150th anniversary of the publication of The Origin of the Species.

I also wanted to write about a nifty service offered by the Blue Ocean Institute, through which you can text message their "fish phone" and instantly receive a reply as to the sustainability of the fish you are considering. However, it doesn't seem to work from my phone, which is probably Cincinnati Bell's fault. Then again, maybe the number was overwhelmed by the fact it was mentioned in the New York Times today and collapsed under the strain. I'll try it again in a few days. Meanwhile, I'll keep carrying the little wallet card I downloaded from the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program. I learned about the fish phone from Mark Bittmans's excellent food blog Bitten.

No comments: