Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Crock Pot Oatmeal

This is by far the best oatmeal I've ever made. I'm not really a big fan of oatmeal, but it's so darn good for the body, I keep trying to find ways of making it more interesting. I adapted this recipe from one in Vegetarian Times:

Crock Pot Oatmeal

  • 1 3/4 cups steel cut oatmeal (not regular, instant or old fashioned please)
  • 4 cups Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  1. Combine all the ingredients in a crock pot and cook on high for about three hours. Don't let this cook too long; if it over-cooks it will become hard as a rock and inedible. Four hours in my crock pot was just a bit too long; it was on its way to petrifying.
  2. Leftovers re-warm in the microwave just fine if you add a little water. I've been adding a handful of fresh blueberries too.


Note to self: treating the crock pot with cooking spray will speed clean up a great deal.

I am somewhat intrigued by the plans for the world's first vertical farm to be built in Las Vegas. On one hand, it doesn't strike me as being very ecologically friendly. Then again, water could be re-circulated and I suppose sunlight could be directed into the interior levels with a system of mirrors. The article doesn't provide those sorts of details except to say the design details would be worked out this year. I'd certainly visit it should I ever find myself in Vegas.

No comments: