Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oh glorious day off work when everyone else was working

I grocery shopped, went for a short run, napped on the couch and read a couple of short stories. It was just heavenly.

Then I made a few dishes to get me through the rest of this short week: a Thai seafood and veggie salad, steamed broccoli with miso sauce and an Eastern European red lentil soup. I also made a South Beach (tm) version of turkey hash for breakfast (I'm so tired of eggs or oatmeal) that uses turnips in place of potatoes. It came out really good; turnips have an undeserved bad rap in this country. In this dish they came out sweet and delicate and not at all worthy of the sneers I tend to get when I mention I've cooked turnips.

As I was washing the many, many dishes I dirtied during cooking I got to wondering why tumblers are called tumblers. After all, they are usually a short, squat glass which gives them more stability than tall drinking glasses and are therefore less likely to tumble. According to the wildly unreliable sources I found, they are called tumblers because they were first made with a rounded bottom, so if they were set down they would fall over. Several image searches have yielded nothing of the sort and I can't even find an answer as to when these allegedly round bottomed drinking glasses were first used. A trip to the antique mall (which would be fun anyway) might produce a better answer.

No comments: