Monday, January 14, 2008

Hot Hot Hot


Yesterday I chopped up half of a Serrano chile for my Thai basil turkey, with no problems whatsoever. Tonight I chopped up the other half of the chile for some soup and I've managed to give my fingers a hot pepper burn.

Peppers contain capsaicinoids, most concentrated in the seeds and internal membranes, and these chemicals stimulate the pain and thermal receptors in nerve endings. Capsaicinoids are oil soluble, so once they've absorbed into the skin, they can't be washed away with soap and water. This is why one should always wear rubber gloves when chopping hot peppers, at least if you're me.

It's hard to imagine the fiery cuisines of India, Thailand, China and many other countries without the kick of chilies, but these hot peppers originated in the Americas and were introduced to Europe by Christopher Columbus himself. From there they soon spread to Africa and the Orient and became essential ingredients.

No comments: