Saturday, January 05, 2008

Sweeny Todd



I went to see Sweeny Todd today, finally. I thought it was excellent, with outstanding performances by both Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter. Who knew they could sing? The cinematography was just gorgeous. It was also exceptionally bloody and I had to watch many scenes through my fingers.

I remember my Mum telling me the story of Sweeny Todd when I was little, but I never knew the entire story. I decided to research that today and I found the Sweeny Todd was not a legend, which I had assumed, but a true series of events. There is a multi-chapter article detailing the strange case of Sweeny Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street over at TruTV Crime Library and it's well worth reading.

ETA: Or Sweeny Todd is actually a fictional character. At least Wikipedia seems to think so. I need to do more research, but not tonight. Fact or fiction, it's still a great story.

No comments: